I've been listening to a really good summary on fasting by Pastor Benny.
5 THINGS TO ASK BEFORE YOU START:
- Is it God lead?
- What are your motives?
- What needs are you fasting for?
- What results are you looking for?
- Are you determined to minister to the Lord during this time? (Acts 17)
7 TYPES OF FASTING
(Do not make this a Law - these are just samples from the Bible)
1. FASTING IN CRISIS:
3 day Ester fast, Complete fast (all food and drink)
2. FASTING FOR REVELATION:
21 Days - Partial fast, Daniel (3 times 7)
3. FASTING FOR PERSONAL CONSECRATION & EXAMINATION:
1 Day Complete fast (Ps35:3; Lev23:27; Jer36:6)
4. FASTING "GOD HEAR US pls" (Do not go into battles without fasting)
1 Day Ezra 8:23, Judges 20 (victory only when fasted)
5. FASTING FOR THE SICK
3 day fast for healing 1Sam30
6. FASTING FOR JUDGEMENT TO LIFT
1Kings21 Ahab's fast
7. FASTING FOR DOMINION - Supernatural Fast
40 days Complete Fast (Moses 80days, Elijah & Jesus) Bringing Flesh under subjection Luke4
Some more notes
WHAT IS FASTING?
Fasting is the voluntary giving up of food in order to increase our focus and time commitment for God.
WHY SHOULD WE FAST?
Jesus expects it (Matt 6:16-18)
There are answers to prayer we will be unable to get without fasting. (Matt 17:21)
The early church practised it. (Acts 13:3)